A friend once told me that in her home town up north, there was a local custom that if you parked your car in the summer and left your windows down, someone would drop a bushel of zucchini on your passenger seat. That’s just how people got rid of it in a bumper crop year.
So in case you go up north and get a mysterious bushel of zucchini or summer squash dropped in your car, here’s a good way to use a bunch of them up. It’s also a great way to sneak some veggies by the kids, and they are good any time of day. Check out our Zucchini Fritters recipe and put a dent in that pile you have on your countertop.
2 lbs zucchini or summer squash, shredded
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup grated parmesan
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
enough olive oil to coat the skillet
- Place the zucchini in a colander and mix in the salt. Let that sit for 10 minutes.
- Place the salted zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and wring the water out.
- Move zucchini to a separate bowl and mix together with the flour, parmesan, garlic, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Grab about a 1/4 cup sized ball of the mixture and form into a small pancake
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet, fry the fritter until golden brown, then flip and do the same on the other side.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, or your favorite condiment.