What is Physical Therapy?
My name is Greg Roskovensky, Physical Therapist and founder of Advantage Performance Therapy and Consulting. I will be consulting at Advantage Strength to help people with pain improve their movement, remain healthy, and return to performance. If you have pain and are looking to return to your favorite sport or activity, here is how I can help. Check out my website: www.roskoadvantage.com for details.
What is physical therapy?
Physical therapy is a dynamic profession with an established theoretical and scientific base and widespread clinical applications in the restoration, maintenance, and promotion of optimal physical function.
What does an orthopedic/sports physical therapist do?
- Diagnose and manage movement dysfunction and enhance physical and functional abilities.
- Restore, maintain, and promote not only optimal physical function but optimal wellness and fitness and optimal quality of life as it relates to movement and health.
- Prevent the onset, symptoms, and progression of impairments, functional limitations, and disabilities that may result from diseases, disorders, conditions, or injuries.
How can a physical therapist help you today?
If you’re currently have an injury or pain issues, a physical therapist will thoroughly evaluate and treat any dysfunction related to the injury. This can include:
- Manual therapies to improve joint and muscular restrictions and movement patterns.
- Corrective exercises teaching you how to appropriately complete functional tasks such as squatting, deadlifting, sports specific tasks, picking your children up
If you’re interested in taking your sports performance to the next level and injury prevention
- Thorough, total body movement screening and assessment identifying areas of weakness including joint mobility deficits, soft tissue mobility restrictions, motor control and/or stability deficits, muscular weaknesses.
If you’re interested in beginning an exercise program:
- Functional Movement Screening to identify areas which may need to improve in joint or muscular function and guide selection of exercises and program selection
Select excerpts from the American Physical Therapy Association.
Stay tuned for more articles about pain, breathing, and common maladies I can help you overcome, and to find out how Advantage Performance Therapy and Consulting can help you return to play.